Sword art online virtual reality game – A couple of weeks ago we informed you that IBM Japan is working on the actual sword art online virtual reality game which uses the cognitive computing system. Which will make players feel that they are inside the game. They are using Oculus VR goggles for this job. In this article we will see how the game actually works in real life.
Working of sword art online virtual reality game
You might be thinking – “Yay! am so excited!, i can’t wait to see how the game environment is!” but to be honest it’s something that you will feel extremely weird…
So how does it actually look like?
- IBM first start by scanning the body of the player, which is then rendered into the 3D avatar
Oh! this certainly looks cool, i can’t wait to see how the avatar looks after rendering…
Oh! Ok, this certainly doesn’t look cool as i thought i would. But the game is still in it’s “Alpha” stage so we can expect the improvements in the graphics later! So lets continue with further explanation
- Players were given an Oculus rift VR console which tracks head motion and then later feed in graphics.
- A Leap Motion 3D gesture control and an Ovrision stereo camera were used for tracking hand motions.
- Microsoft Kinect 2 was used to track body movements.
- Special footwear were used to track foot movements, so that your avatar can walk.
- Once every information and movement about players was calibrated, they were dropped into a bazaar.
The graphics are good here!
This bazaar location allowed players to get accustomed to the game! Once they were done with it and were able to control their avatar freely as they want they were dropped into the battle area to battle some monsters.
Around 99,800 people signed to participate in the alpha testing of the game “Sword art online : The Beginning” but only 208 were selected. Daisuki.net also released a detailed video report on the alpha test of the game.
This certainly is cool thing and it’s something which is never done! but in order to make it available for everyone, IBM still need to do lot of work.
For example – Player first has to scan his entire body so that the avatar can be rendered. Also they need special gears with help of which entire body movement, including hands, head and legs are tracked in order to move the avatar in the game.
They need to work on this entire thing to make it more simple so people can use it easily. If they shipped the game with such complex tools and machinary people won’t buy it and the game will be only suitable for malls and game centers. In order to make it available for everyone we need something else.
For example – A special suit which people can wear, and once they start the game their body from head to toe will be scanned because of that suit and avatar will be rendered. Motion tracking will also become much simple. So if they are really going to make this project a full fledged game then they really need to work on this or something similar!
Subscribe to Otaku Vines, Don't miss anything!!
- Get instant news, reviews and recommendations!
- Stay updated with Anime, Manga, Light Novels and LIve Action Drama and Movies all the time!
- No spamming because we respect your privacy!